Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Let's All Share A Favorite Holiday Memory ~ I'll Go First!



My Mom & Dad
Always remember how important family is









I just love these older depictions of Santa Claus. That's the way I've always seen him in my mind, so happy, kind and jolly. Things were so much simpler when we were children but we didn't know it and just couldn't wait to grow up. Now that I'm grown up I yearn for my childhood. If I only knew then what I know now I would have been like Peter Pan and never wanted to grow up. I am blessed though because I can relive some of the wonderment and innocence of childhood through the eyes of my 2 and 1/2 yr old grandson and it's wonderful. Anyway, one of my favorite holiday memories was when year after year my mother and all of us children would pull out boxes and boxes of holiday decorations (it seemed we had just packed away) and begin decorating the house. My younger sister Mary, myself and the next eldest sister Sharyn, would just wait for Mom to pull out one of the many old mangey Rudolph's or Santa's that she had had for years. Some would have bald spots where the fur on the reindeer had worn away or a Santa would have an arm that had been haphazardly glued back on, they were a sight. We'd nudge each other and giggle about those pitiful decorations and wondered why she didn't just throw them away. Those poor things looked like they were ready for the trash can but Mom would look at them with such a gleam in her eye and all of our joking, giggling and prodding would fade away as we watched her put each one of those items in "just the right spot" as she did every year. As we grew older, my sisters and I often speak of those raggedy old decorations and wish we still had a few to add to our collection of newer decorations. My Mother always had a way of making something that could have been trash into something that was a treasure ~ just as she was a treasure to all of us kids.

Ok, now it's someone else's turn to relive their favorite holiday memory and share it with us all. What a truly wonderful and blessed season this is, it reminds us all how truly lucky we are.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's the Santa I remember! Thanks for this post, it brought back several good memories! Lynn

Sandi Brown said...

Lynn,
I just love the holiday season and I'm determined this year to enjoy it more. I'm not going to rush myself or spend more than I can afford, then I'll be in trouble come spring ;) I'm focusing on my grandson, he's what my Christmas is all about. Take Care,
Sandi