Monday, August 11, 2008

Make Sure You Cross Your I's and Dot Your T's

Just wanted to share with everyone an experience I had today regarding my website. I received a phone call from a woman who stated that she was on my site, Our Enchanted Children, and there were two pictures, one of which was her young daughter modeling a jacket that one of my artistic vendors hand makes. She said that I did not have her permission to have that picture of her daughter on my site and she wanted it removed IMMEDIATELY! She said if it was not removed within 30 minutes, she was going to contact her lawyer... You can imagine how stunned I was as I had received the picture to post directly from my vendor and never thought about whose children were in some of the pictures. I explained to her that I had received the pic from the woman that makes the jacket and assured her that it was all a big misunderstanding and of course I would remove the pictures. She seemed to calm down as I again apologized and hung up.
My point is ~ if you are using anyone (other than family) to model anything on your sites, be sure to get a release from the person or the parent of that child. I never would have thought to do something like that but after today, I will be contacting all of my vendors that have sent me pictures to use on my site that feature a real person. Better safe than sorry!
Take Care,
Sandi

1 comment:

Lisa @ Serah's said...

Sorry you had this experience but it is better safe than sorry. From experience, I've learned to keep some kind of paper trail for everything...even the smallest little thing.